Saturday 17 September 2011

Pennington/Keyhaven Marshes



As there was some good birds to be had here I made the effort to see them.

First off was the Baird's Sandpiper which was feeding with Dunlin on the Shoveler Pool.  I distinctly paler, smaller and more stint like wader than the accompanying Dunlin.

I then proceeded to search for the reported Grey Phalarope but there was no sign of it.  A bonus arrived in another Wryneck which showed in the scrubby area behind the pools and this time the bird actually sat pretty much in the open.

Other good birds around included at least 3 Mediterranean Gulls, Spotted Redshank, quite a few Ruff and lots of hirundines.  I missed the Honey Buzzard that flew over with a flock of about 20 Common Buzzards.

When I got home I found out that the Phalarope had moved to Normandy Marshes and there was also a Spoonbill there - damn!

No comments:

Post a Comment