Sunday 25 September 2011

Amazing Pec (24/09/11)

The Pectoral Sandpiper originally seen at Crookham Common had returned (or it was another bird!) so I went to see it.  I've never been to this site before so didn't know where to go but eventually found the areas of water.  Initially, I couldn't find any other birders but I then saw a couple of guys sitting on the ground watching something.

I crept over to them and realised the Pectoral Sandpiper was feeding unconcerned right next to them.  Over the next hour or so I sat enthralled watching this wader from point blank range, sometimes down to about 10 feet.  At one point I thought it was going to walk under my tripod.

After admiring this bird I needed to retrieve my scope but I didn't want to flush it so had to wait.

When I headed back to the car I caught the unmistakable song of a Dartford Warbler and looking at the bush where it came from saw 2 birds and a Chiffchaff.

Also in the area I heard Woodlark and 2 Yellow Wagtails flew by.  A distant Red Kite was being mobbed by corvids.

No comments:

Post a Comment