Tuesday 17 April 2012

The start of a good weekend... (13/04/12)


I started off at Cow Down (West Ilsley) and despite the dog walkers it was good.  The first bird I clapped my eyes on was a singing Corn Bunting - further along the walk another one flew in front of me.  Two large lumps sitting in bushes by the gallops turned out to be two Short-eared Owls (my firsts for Berkshire).

I then walked a short way back to West Isley where the main path turned left and suddenly caught some movement in the bushes which turned out to be a male Redstart looking fantastic in the bright sunshine.

One the way back to the car I saw my first Swallow of the year heading north into Oxfordshire.

Next onto Combe Woods (when I managed to find it!).  Didn't had much luck until I reached the bottom of the path when two Willow Tits showed extremely well and calling frequently.  I also had two more on the way back to the car and a couple of Marsh Tits for comparison.  Finally I had a Raven over the top of the hill being mobbed by a Lapwing.

No comments:

Post a Comment