Sunday 17 July 2011

Fleet Pond (17/07/11)


As a Wood Sandpiper had been reported from the scrape for the last 2 days I decided to go and have a look.

I parked at the end of Chestnut Grove and scoped for a scrape - I could only see an adult Yellow-legged Gull perched on one of the posts in the pond.

I then walked around to Sandy Bay where there were a few Egyptian Geese and then onto the picnic site where I found the scrape, although it was difficult to see all of it.  At the northern end I finally located the sandpiper and as I got my scope onto it a Moorhen took a dislike to it and flushed it left.

I then searched for it again but it wasn't until the heavens opened that I found the bird preening at the southern end in the reeds.  As I and another couple watched it, it suddenly flew off.

Based on the brown spots on the back and diffuse grey brown mottling on the breast I believe it was a juvenile bird.

I dropped into Sandy Bay back on the way to the card and the sandpiper was feeding quite close on the muddy area in the bay. These are where these photos were taken.

Just as I reached the car a Little Egret flew off.

No comments:

Post a Comment