Saturday 23 April 2011

New Forest/South coast (23/04/11)





















On the entrance road to the car park I had a Muntjac Deer running along the road in front of me. Got to Acres Down at 5.30am and then spent the next 4.5 hours wandering around the tracks.

Managed to see 2 Redstarts, singing Wood Warbler (another one heard), 2 Tree Pipits, male Stonechat and my first Cuckoo of the year. On the way back to the car I jointed a few other birders on the down and started scanning for the Black Stork (which has been in the area) in the air. I wasn't successful (it was seen after I was on the way home), however, a bonus came in the shape of a flyby Hawfinch.

After getting back t the car I drove down to Pennington/Keyhaven marshes and walked the loop. It was fairly quiet on the outward leg but things got better on the return leg with 3 Mediterranean Gulls (2 ads, 1 2s), Avocet, Greenshank, flyover Whimbrel (which was calling), 5 Little Egrets, 4 Little Terns, moulting Spotted Redshank, Ruff, summer & winter plumaged Bar-tailed Godwits with the Black-tailed Godwits and 3 Reed Warblers.

Year total now: 150

I was so glad that I was on the way back home at lunch time, because the traffic on the opposite carriageway on the motorway. It was almost nose to tail from about Hook to Cadnam!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment