Wednesday 16 September 2009

Cley/Blakeney Point (12/09/09)

Having finished the first part of the trip I now drove up to north Norfolk and to Cley. I started by walking down the east bank and along the shingle ridge to coastguards. Best of the birds on the way round were a Spotted Redshank, Knot and 2 drake Scaup on Arnold's Marsh. Offshore were 7 Gannets.

While seawatching at coastguards another birder walked up to me and enquired whether I had come back from Blakeney Point. I said I hadn't and he said that were one (possibly two) Red-breasted Flycatchers at the point along with a Pied Flycatcher.

I asked if I could tag along and the chap's name, who was Michael, said no problem. Having someone to walk the walk to Blakeney Point helps because it is one of the worst bird walks in the UK (3.5 miles of sand and shingle, there and back).

We didn't hang around birding but made straight for the lupins where I managed to pick up the first Red-breasted Flycatcher in brambles above the lupins. I noted the dark legs, short tail, white eye-ring and pinkish orange flush to the breast. It occasionally flicked its tail.

I then made my way over to where other birders had gathered, expecting the other Red-breasted Flycatcher, but was told they had a Booted Warbler! The bird showed on and off in the scrub and was seen to be a pale warbler like a sturdy Chiffchaff but with with a strong bill and quite a thick eye stripe and white edges to tail feathers. I managed to get a few shots which will feature on this blog shortly.

I had a look at the Pied Flycatcher which was in the Plantation and then all that remained was to walk back to Cley coastguards and walk back to the car to drive to the B&B.

No comments:

Post a Comment