Wednesday 22 September 2010

Titchfield Haven (19th September 2010)







The North East Hants RSPB group trip but I thought I would nip down to Farlington Marshes first to see the reported Lapland Bunting.

I didn't hang around but did the reserve in just over an hour walking clockwise towards the Deeps.

On the way around I had a couple of Yellow Wagtails feeding amongst the cattle, 3 Wheatears and a Winchat on the central fence and a fly-over Snipe.

Once I got to the Deeps I didn't have to wait long for a Lapland Bunting (161) to appear, creeping amongst the short grass only a few yards away. Basically like a Reed Bunting but with redder brown in colour. Noted the dark crown stripes with grey median crown-stripe, reddish brown ear coverts with black border and quite a strong malar stripe.

In the harbour an Osprey was feeding on a fish by Hayling Island bridge. Lastly Bearded Tits (162) were showing very well in the reed beds by the main lake.

Onto Titchfield Haven where as I was heading off to meet everyone I caught a brief glimpse of a Cetti's Warbler (163). I met with everyone (Rob had reported a Kittiwake in the Solent) and then it transpired I was going to be the leader for the day. I went and got permits for everyone and then collected money from all before setting off towards the hides.

The reserve was quite quiet despite the high tide, the highlights being Common Sandpiper, 2 Dunlins, Curlew Sandpiper, 2 Green Sandpipers.

On the way back to the car park for lunch the river had 25+ Mediterranean Gulls on it including 1st-winters, 2nd summers and adults. During lunch we watched the arriving gulls and waders as the tide started to recede. One gull had a white ring with red letters (A5PF) which I believe is a bird rescued by the RSPCA in Sussex. I have sent and email to them asking about the bird.

Also in the waders was a juvenile Sanderling (164).

After lunch we went to the other side of the reserve but as usual it was pretty poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment