Saturday 13 June 2009

Ash Lock (Hants)/Thursley Common (Surrey)

Looked like a very good day for dragonflies and I wasn't to be disappointed.

From Ash Lock it was obvious that there were a lot of damselflies about and a bit later there were a fair number of dragonflies as well. I recorded the following:

Banded Demoiselle
Large Red Damselfly
Azure Damselfly
Blue-tailed Damselfly
Red-eyed Damselfly
Emperor Dragonfly (up to 6)
Possible Hairy Dragonfly (but still haven't really identified one exactly).
Black-tailed Skimmer (2 or 3)

Now onto Thursley Common where spent the first hour trying to identify an Emerald which would not sit still! While waiting for better views I was rather surprised to see a White-legged Damselfly in the vegetation next to me - I tried to get a shot but didn't manage a very good one although I may have a better one of another I saw from the boardwalk.

Eventually I managed to see enough of the front of the face and the body to identify the emerald as a Downy Emerald. Later I saw another 3 on the other side of the moat pond.

Around the boardwalks were a fair number of Keeled Skimmers and lots of Four-spotted Chasers. Also two Hobbies seen, one seen extremely well over the bog.

Other species of damselfly/dragonfly recorded:

Beautiful Demoiselle
Large Red Damselfly
Common Blue Damselfly
Blue-tailed Damselfly

No comments:

Post a Comment