Sunday 24 July 2022

New Forest / Martin Down (09/07/22)

 A very hot day albeit a bit blustery saw me visit a number of sites in the New Forest and finished off at Martin Down.  It was a very successful day.  I visited:

  • Boundway
  • Burley Mill Lawn
  • Stoney Cross
  • Martin Down

Although most of the orchids at Boundway were nearly over I did manage to see Heath Fragrant Orchid, Heath Spotted Orchid and a hybrid between them both.  A nice Silver-washed Fritillary was also seen.

Onto Burley Mill Lawn where I wandered around with Andy Appleton (Twitter) and we had some good views of Bog Orchid (which I've never seen here before - although not really looked that hard), a few Southern (Mercury) Damselflies, Small Red Damselfly, lots of Keeled Skimmers and Oblong-leaved Sundew.

At Stoney Cross there were a couple more Bog Orchids.

At Martin Down there was 3 Frog Orchids and my first Chalk-hill Blue of the year.














No comments:

Post a Comment