Sunday 1 May 2022

A new year and a new set of challenges (23rd/24th April 2022)

After returning from Costa Rica (blog entry to follow) I had my first UK trip out in earnest for orchids and butterflies.  The main object on Saturday was Early Spider Orchid at Castle Hill NNR which I missed last year, not knowing where the actual site was in East Sussex.

After some long walking in a very stiff wind I eventually found the place and after some small numbers of Early Purple Orchid were seen another orchid hunter found a single Early Spider Orchid.  Once you get your eye in they can be seen quite easily.  Despite not searching around for too long (my Dad wanted to get back for his dinner) I eventually saw c40 specimens.

Butterflies also seen included Small Copper, Small Tortoiseshell and Red Admiral.  I didn't realise that Wall butterflies were out and the site was good for them or I would have tried harder.

On Sunday I walked locally with my father to Littlehampton and Crossbush Forest where the Bluebells were impressive.  A male and female Green-veined White was seen as well as Brimstone and a brief view of a Raven.

Here is a selection of photos of the orchids and others:












 

No comments:

Post a Comment