Friday 13 August 2021

Yet another boggy day (07/08/21)

I went back to the New Forest to try the site I didn't do last week.  The weather was horrendous on the way down and I narrowly missed bending the car when I was drenched by a fast moving car on the motorway and was temporarily blinded by a wall of water.

When I got to what I thought was the site the weather had improved but I couldn't match the location to the map I was given.  I then realised I was probably on the wrong side of the dual carriageway so back in the car and eventually managed to find the site.

I then spent a couple of hours walking around finding nothing in the way of orchids so back to the car and looked closer at the map.  It turned out I didn't have to walk far from the car and the concrete block I was searching for was hidden from my site because I am so short - if I had walked over the rise of the heath a bit more I would have seen it.

As it happens, after some careful searching dodging the downpours, I managed to see 5-6 Bog Orchids - they are so tiny!

Birds in the area included another group of Woodlarks (they seem have bred well this year) and a fly-over Raven.

A small group of Fallow Deer were feeding amongst the bushes
















No comments:

Post a Comment