Tuesday 27 July 2021

Surrey Butterflies & Orchids (24/07/21)

Finally made it to Sheepleas and Oaken Wood.

At Sheepleas I found a few Helleborines in a couple of patches but then I found a glade which literally had loads of Helleborines with a few scattered around in coppiced areas.  Despite trying my hardest to find Narrow-lipped Orchid, with one plant looking good, after consulting the experts online it turned out that all my orchid pictures were of Broad-leaved Helleborine - but still a new plant for me.

Most of the plants were not in flower, but here is a selection of those that were:











On one of the meadows were a few Chalk (Common) Fragrant Orchids, Gatekeeper butterflies were out in force and a new moth for me Shaded Broad Bar:





At Oaken Wood there was a good selection of butterflies and I tried to photograph as many whites as I could, however, most of them would not sit still long enough.  However, after a while I managed to see a butterfly which looked good for Wood White and I got some shots of it.  Eventually I managed to get a photo of the other white's I was seeing.  After getting home and consulting the experts if turned out that the other white I photographed, which I assumed was a Small White, was in fact a male Green-veined White - Bonus!








No comments:

Post a Comment